Abstract (Draft) - Architecture of sound – an auto-ethnography about the relationship between influences in composers that are spectral oriented and identity.

Abstract (Draft) - Architecture of sound – an auto-ethnography about the relationship between influences in composers that are spectral oriented and identity.

by Daniel Davis -
Number of replies: 0

This research project grows directly out of my recent compositional practice and creative concerns. Following a period of activity in which sound and timbre were determining factors in almost every facet of my work, I found substantial aspects about the way I compose that are related with the transformation and relation of two or more sounds. As a result, I began to experiment different processes, related for example with contrasting the form of orchestration, or trying to construct new sonorities. By articulating where I am now, where I came from, what my cultural context is, what is the legacy of my training has bit up at this point, why the ideas behind the spectral composers interest me, how it resonates with what I have done already; with the will of engage with ideas and different techniques that are behind of the enormous world of spectral practise, without changing them so much and without transform myself into a spectral composer, I combine an auto-ethnographic study with a compositional process diary, video records, scores and archives. Based on my study so far, this research engages with the difference between influences and compositional identity, where I will end it up with pieces I will write, that are associate with other composers or ideas, keeping in each piece, my own signature.